Thursday, June 17, 2010

Memories

We are back from the beach! No oil! Curt loved it.

I am also back at work and swamped, so no real post. I did want to reprint a comment I make on Pia's blog because it showed me how far Curt's come in language -- but how much he understood despite his lack of speech. Also, I want to encourage other moms who are in that three-year-old age range when everything can look its bleakest!

"When Curt was 3 (isn't J-Man three?), we were on a trip. He, too, had practically no language at that time.

He had an alphabet game in the back seat. He played with it often. It would ask, "Where's the letter W?" and you were supposed to push it. Curt always preferred the music part of the game.

However, that day, a beautiful Friday afternoon on the way to Alabama, my Curt answered every letter it asked while I sat perfectly still in the front seat watching him in the rear-view mirror -- petrified if I moved I would wake and realize it was a dream.

Tears are in my eyes years later when I remember that moment when I realized Curt was wicked smart. You hang in there, Mama."

5 comments:

慈佐 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today...................................................................

淑慧 said...

Keep in contact. Good Luck..................................................

俊源 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pia said...

You know, I have this feeling that if we lived near each other we would totally be friends :D

Pia

Jeanna said...

Thanks, Pia. I think so, too. We certainly share a common bond. Another LT Mom, Missy, describes it in a beautiful way. Now, Missy is a lot more religious than I, but I "get" this....

She says (something like this), "God gave us these special children because he trusted us to love them unconditionally and protect them fiercely."

I paraphrase, but you get the picture.