Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What I Learned on My Summer Vacation

Don’t take a vacation with extended family.

I could stop there, and perhaps I should. (But I won’t) We went with Cowboy’s sister, her husband and their two kids. (These kids have a reputation for bad behavior.)

It actually was a nice vacation for the first four days. Everyone got along well. I even mentioned this to Cowboy the day before we left how I was surprised how smoothly things had gone. However, the last morning – only two hours before we were to leave – there was an unfortunate incident involving nephew and pizza rolls and the condo carpet. The condo I had paid for with my credit card, the credit card the Realty Company would charge for damages.

Cowboy went in the wake up the kids and spotted the aforementioned pizza rolls ground into the off-white carpet. He developed a sudden case of Tourette’s syndrome. When Sister told him not to talk that way around her children, that they did not do that, Cowboy responded, “I KNOW your children. Your children talk like that to me!”

To say the last hour or so were uncomfortable is an understatement.

However, I learned a few lessons. Or at least had them re-confirmed.

First, be consistent. Don’t tell your child to do something/not to do something 15 times with no repercussions. If you tell them they will be punished if they do something ONE MORE TIME, punish them.

Second, don’t give kids everything they beg for. If you’ve driven numerous hours to get to the beach, you need to enjoy the beach. They don’t have to go to the water park/adventure island/dolphin tours daily. Teach them the value of a dollar.

Last, and certainly not least. If your son is on medication for ADHD and truly, truly needs it, for God’s sake, give it to him. EVERY DAY.

Finally, Curt turned five two weeks ago. Happy Birthday, Bubble Boy.


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

WOW...five. omg.

Brenda said...

A darling picture of Curt!