Friday, November 7, 2008

What I Want

What I want for my child, who is now four years old...

I want him to live in a country of which he can be proud.

I want him to know a time when people who love each other can marry, or at least, be able to have a union where they can count on health insurance.

I want him not to know his friends by the color of their skin, but by their names.

I want him to feel confident that the decisions of women's bodies are made by those individual women, and not some man in his 70s.

I want him to know people of all colors, religions, and ethnic groups (and sexual orientations) and not be afraid of people, but to embrace our differences.

I want him to grow up healthy and happy. This is what I wish for you, the love of my life.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

A lovely sentiment. Thanks for sharing.

*Ange* Life in the PS said...

Embracing differences.
Right on.

I notice you didn't say you wanted less taxes on your $251,000 salary.
You're a phenomenal mom.

Brenda said...

Curt is a lucky little boy to have a mom like you, Jeanna.