Thursday, October 16, 2008

Let's Go Crazy!


Scene: The office. Co-workers standing around a birthday cake. A friend says, "We are gathered here today..." to which I replied "...to get through this thing called life."

We then broke into a rendition of "Let's Go Crazy." (at least the beginning...)

Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
2 get through this thing called life
Electric word life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here 2 tell u
There's something else
The afterworld
A world of never ending happiness
U can always see the sun, day or night
So when u call up that shrink in Beverly Hills
U know the one - Dr Everything'll Be Alright
Instead of asking him how much of your time is left
Ask him how much of your mind, baby
'Cuz in this life
Things are much harder than in the afterworld
In this life
You're on your own

(A little too close for comfort, I say)

......................

Not a bad segue way to a report on the meeting with Head Teacher.

Verdict?

It really wasn't that bad. Really.

I had diarrhea that morning from worrying.

First, she asked me to have Curt walk in the classroom as opposed to me carrying him. (In the afternoon, he walks. In the morning, I am in a hurry. Guilty as charged.) She wants the other kids to see him on their level. They have a tendency to coddle him and treat him like he's younger than he is because of his speech delay. I agreed to that.

Mainly, we discussed the biting. They don't bite him back (see above). I told her I thought the quickest way to get him to stop would be when he is bit a few times. I said, "Obviously, I know you can't encourage this, but if he's on the other side of the room, bites someone, they start to bite him back and you can't get there in time? So be it."

Don't get me wrong. I don't want my child to be bitten! However, I think he will think twice if he believes someone may bite him back. He can be the most loving child in the world. I just want others to see it, too.

I am looking for tried and true (unorthodox?) methods you've tried to get your child from biting. Someone said Tabasco on the tongue. Ouch! Please share your wisdom!

4 comments:

MamaBear said...

I am really showing my age when I first saw that picture, I thought "oh wow, Purple Rain." I think I can sing every song by heart. LOL

Our preschool likes the kids to walk by themselves too so sounds normal to me.

Sorry for the worry and stress. Like I said before, I have no idea what to tell you about the biting. Hopefully it will get nipped in the bud soon.

Jeanna said...

mamabear,

I can certainly understand the "walking in by yourself" theory. Why hadn't I thought of it myself? Who knows?

Holly said...

You're totally on the mark about being on the receiving end of the biting -- even if it sounds horrible when you say it out loud! When my brother was about Curt's age, our cousin(who was about six months younger than my bro, but much larger) would bite my brother every time his family came to visit. My parents sat my brother down and said, "The next time your cousin bites you, bite him back." Fast forward to the next visit: My parents open the door to our house, and my brother immediately jumps on our cousin and chomps on him like a rabid raccoon. Not exactly what my parents had in mind, but the biting stopped!

*Ange* Life in the PS said...

I have also heard that biting stops biting.

And I LOVE "Let's Go Crazy!"
It is one of my theme songs.