Sunday, August 17, 2008

Just Breathe

Thanks to everyone who repsonded to my request on their stories. I loved reading them and wish we could find a way to put them together, bound and tear-streaked free for new moms entering this journey. The network I've found has been invaluable to me, so "thank you." If you have yet to respond and want to, please do so!

My dear, sweet (stubborn, hard-headed) Curt did arithmatic today. He added and added, via computer. I cheered him on at every step. It was great.

As wonderful as that was, an email I received this weekend put everything into perspective. I didn't get permission from Heather (sorry!), but I really don't think she'll mind. Her son is almost five and doing great. It said:

"Things just keep getting better and better. He is getting more mature. He is different from other kids but I am glad. He is just "son" and I wouldn't have him any other way. Like Dr. Camarata said, the things we worry about now will keep him out of trouble as a teenager. "Everybody's doing it" will have no appeal to him. He follows the beat of his own drum."

Well said, Heather. I feel my subconsicous goal has been for Curt to be like everyone else. Is that what I really want? Maybe it shouldn't be.

3 comments:

Coyote Bebop said...

better to be different...

believe me...

WAY better.

.

Jann said...

My husband calls my son,

"The one to have when you are only having one."

He's such a neat kid. Loving, smart, kind, funny, energetic, adorable.

But my biggest problem is not my son, he's actually easy most of the time. It's dealing with all these idiots who want to drag the spectrum out to weigh my son down like an anchor. Once they stick the autism label on, it's so difficult to get people to see your true child.

On the other hand, I see why parents get so worn down they accept wrong labels to appease people.

For us, the easy road, and the low road, would be to accept an autism label. All the pressure would come off us, and our son would go from struggling in regular classroom to having it be a cakewalk in a special ed classroom.

But it would be the wrong thing for his future.

So, I'll just take that advice...and breathe.

Jeanna said...

If Curt had a dx of ASD, insurance would pay. Mixed E/R language disorder doesn't cut it. However, even his Doc (The autism expert who agrees with his dx) doesn't suggest we go this route. He doesn't want him improperly labled.

I'm beginning to think it's all about the money. EI, for sure.