Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'll Take These Odds

Nearly 80 percent of children with language delays at age two catch up when they turn seven, according to a new study.

In the study led by Mabel Rice, the Fred and Virginia Merrill Distinguished Professor of Advanced Studies and director of the Centre for Biobehavioral from Curtin University in Perth, Australia, the team examined the language development of single and twin children in the western part of the country.

They found that of 1,766 toddlers, boys are three times as likely as girls to be late-talking toddlers. Yet when the children were 7 years of age, no differences were found between girls and boys.

Rice said that obviously some kind of mechanism kicks in for the boys.

“Between the age of 2 and 7, they actually learn language faster than girls. After age 7, boys and girls stay on the same trajectory.

“For children who are still late talkers in school, it is important to provide early intervention and enrichment. “Parents should contact a speech pathologist if they have any concerns,” she added.
The data in her latest study also show that a mother’s education, income, parenting style and mental health does not predict when a child will start to talk.

“In our large and diverse sample, children in families with limited means have as good a chance at starting to talk as those in families with lots of resources,” said Rice.

The study is published in the April issue of the Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research.

9 comments:

Coyote Bebop said...

I just came from Ange's post.

They're kids. They're the most unpredictable thing in Nature.

If it's the worst possible thing to do/say, in the worst possible moment to do/say it in...it's a kid that's gonna do/say it....and it's gonna be HYSTERICAL!

There is no other Curt in the world.

Don't let anybody box him up, and package him.

Fuck the labels.

He is Curt. The one and only Curt of his kind.

To 'them', he is a 'late talker'. However, what if he can read minds, and communicate mentally. Then, he's not a 'late talker', it's just that everybody else is a 'late thinker'.

.

msmec said...

That study doesn't surprise me at all.

Of course, it comes from Australia, so did they account for the ACCENT? ;)

Jeanna said...

I'm a little confused. Do I thank people for their comments on comments or do I do so in an entry?

Help, please.

Signed,
Still new (ignorant) blogger

PS. Thank You.

Jeanna said...

I meant to say...

Coyote...your comments are, as usual, up front and in your face. You're my huckleberry.

To Eva: What can I say? You've been there, and you've been there for me since I was 10 years old. Thank you doesn't seem to cut it.

OneMom said...

As the mother of a daughter with a severe mixed expressive/receptive language disorder, I actually find this research a little discouraging, as she will be 7 in 4 months. Barring a bonafide miracle, she won't be caught up. When I've talked with the Camaratas, they have referenced 5th grade as our probable time frame for being mostly undistinguishable from other kids.

Jeanna - as a seasoned blogger, the best place to respond is within the comments. I gave up a long time ago trying to respond to every comment though.

Jeanna said...

One Mom -- I know all children are different. And, 80 percent is not 100 percent. I didn't mean to discourage you.

I guess I find it encouraging because the vast majority of children do eventually catch up.

Jann said...

Thanks for posting this news. Doesn't surprise me, when you see who is on the LT board...largely parents of kids 2 to 7!

And Onemom, I have a child who won't likely normalize until middle school. It's a tough haul, for sure!

But we just came back from a weeklong trip without my husband, and he was stunned at how much more my son was talking.

I also got a look at why playing with peers is hard for LTs. We went to the house of a friend who has a son four months older than my son, and they've known each other since a few months old.

They played really nicely together for hours, but there were a few breakdowns. My son couldn't understand all the games the other child wanted to play and the other child was upset, saying "He hates me!"

The mom told me: I can see why peer play is hard. The kids make my son's issues all about them! They can't realize he has a disability or how it factors into their play.

Suzanne said...

Off-topic, but, "You like me you really like me." heh.

Ange (formerly Writer Mom) said...

I'm so late to this.

I think I'll go post.
I started writing, then it became huge.

Back in a sec.