Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Event

Let me begin by saying many, many people worked hard to make this event a success. We worked three days to decorate. We had hired a decorator who I thought would do most of this work. That didn't happen -- don't make me go there. We did it all. Three people on our staff worked until 2 a.m. Friday night to make this happen. ( I wasn't one of those peoople. Stop. I feel bad enough.)

It was the best event. Not according to me; this comes from two former CEOs and one's wife (wow) and the former women's athletics director. One of my good friends, but not an easy lady to please. The best event in 35 or 50 years, depending on the source and how long they've been associated with our campus.

The decor of the room done by one of our own was awesome. Period. Handbuilt clock towers and lampposts. That is his gift. (I wish I had a better photo. The one above does not do the room justice.)

My gift (if I have one) was organizing the program itself, creating the publication, the meal, etc. and so forth. It worked well. Having Pat Summitt, the winningest coach of all time and our alumna as our closing speaker, did not hurt.

I recieved a handwritten note from our current CEO. If you can't read it, it says:

"I can see your smile now -- whew, a great success. Several folks who were in the east for a similar event recently said our was better -- that means you for the planning, guiding, carrying...to ensure we were covered. I was very proud last evening and I work on not being so, but this event was, so I am told, the most complicated, well done ever for (our campus). "


I received a little gift. Let me just say Cowboy's dirty feet won't be coming anywhere near this blankie. She practiced her speech on me in the powder room, ya'll! It's a little scary that jaded ole' me thinks this is so cool.


P.S. May I say I am SO glad it's over!

3 comments:

Coyote Bebop said...

That room looks FANTASTIC!!!

Suzanne said...

Way to go, JC!

Ange (formerly Writer Mom) said...

That's awesome!

Well done.
I'd be giddy, too.
We need those moments, so I hope you sufficiently soaked yours up.