Friday, May 9, 2008

Is It Bad?

Is it bad that my 3-year-old has his own computer? Does it make it better that his Nana bought a new one and gave this one to him? Does it make a difference if it enables Mom and Dad to actually use the laptop they have?
.
Give me your answers. Be honest, but be kind. Remember, no funds were spent. OK, not true. $10 speakers and $3 mouse pad. Quit yelling!
.
I took some well-deserved time off this week. Curt and I spent the day together today and it was very nice. Going to the Lake tomorrow. Cowboy is already there, of course. Partying will be happening. I HAVE MY BABYSITTER! Redneck at the Lake continues...
.
PS Thanks, Nana. Love the flat screen. Happy Mother's Day.

3 comments:

Coyote Bebop said...

I'd really like to know WHY you would even think that this is bad.

He'll still play outside.

Knowledge can only help make life better. It's the same with technology. Just don't DEPEND on it is all.

Jeanna said...

I guess I think it's indulgent in a way. He's learning tons, though!

My boy would rather play outside than breathe, so that's one thing I'm NOT worried about! (smile.)

Ange (formerly Writer Mom) said...

Add this to the list of similarities between our boys.
Jack had his own computer for a long time. Not sure how that played out. I think it's because Tom was going through a constant upgrade phase, always wanting the faster, bigger, better computer, and after awhile, had enough parts to construct an "extra" one. Over the years, he's given away his pieced together computers to friends and relatives, but we've always had at least two since Jack was a year or so. Otherwise, yeah. And now, with four people who use it?
I'm with Coyote. I think it's about time we get a break from feeling guilt over computer usage.
I absolutely know Jack taught himself how to read by using the computer. He also is a VERY sweet kid, which I credit to how nice all the computer characters are to one another in those programs.
During those years when we avoided the playground because other kids weren't very patient with his late talking, he would have these marvelous friends saying nice things to him, making him smile or laugh, teaching him how to dance. NOW HE'S that kid at school for the other kids. The one who makes them smile. The one who is encouraging and says things like, "Great job!"
So. I'm not allowing anyone to demonize computer usage without making that point.
There are a lot of fantastic programs. It's not all Grand Theft Pacman.