Thursday, February 28, 2008

Meeting Cowboy III

Pheromone: a chemical substance secreted by an animal that influences specific patterns of behavior in other members of the same species.

That's the only explanation I have. We had nothing in common, not really. However, the attraction was animal-like. We were inseparable. Our friendship vow was compromised by the sheer frenzy we had for one another.

I told him it must be pheromones. He thought I had invented the term. Then, he went to work and told a friend that I was strange, that I thought we had been brought together by some smell. "What, pheromones?" the friend asked. Cowboy was speechless. Nine years later, I still love telling that little story.

We called in sick to work in excess. We stayed in bed half the day. We drove to the lake, we slow-danced in the kitchen, we even awoke at 5:30 a.m. to sit outside and watch the sun rise (ok, we did that once).

Several weeks later, he went home to Alabama for the weekend to visit his son. I thought of him constantly and wondered, was he thinking of me? I surfed, watched bad television and paced my apartment. Sunday night couldn't get here fast enough!

He called that afternoon. "Are you leaving now?," I asked. "I'm not coming back today," he said. "Ex and I are going to try to work things out. I love you but I can't do this to my son." I whispered an "ok" and hung up.

Then I threw up.

No comments: