Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fun, Despite All Odds

I'm sitting in the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza in downtown Knoxville. I have a meeting tomorrow. Today was all about getting here.

Cowboy (with Cowboy work being slow in the winter and all) came with me. Nana is keeping Curt for the night. It is a short trip as we are coming back tomorrow. Today has been a great day despite, a.) Cowboy running his Big Truck out of gas on the way to getting it serviced this morning; and, b.) our renters calling us in Nashville, telling us the water had been turned off.

Both potential disasters were averted. However, the second caused Cowboy to scream into Water Lady's ear and acquire hive-like bumps below his eyes. I had to physically take the phone from him and apologize. We paid the bill, but apparently they lost the check for the rental, but cashed the one for our home -- both being paid at the same time. All's well that ends well, because my friend LT (whom I would give mighty snaps to if she actually knew about this blog) paid the bill for us. And, they apologized.

Moral of the story: Just because a man is from Alabama and talks slow does not mean he is laid back.

The third potential disaster was that I booked the hotel incorrectly. However, we found the right Holiday Inn and it was better digs. We are one block from the Old City and walked down to eat at Regas, the Godfather of all Knoxville steakhouses. It was like eating in a 50s steakhouse and I mean that in a good way. We shared a bottle of Merlot (after we chose it from the wine list and the waitress had us "approve it" -- tres' classy) and had great steaks. Our waitress asked us if this was a special occasion and I told her, "Yes, we're without our 3-year-old!" At the end of meal, she treated us to a mini-red velvet cake usually reserved for birthdays or anniversaries. She had a 6-year-old. I guess she understood.

We sauntered back to the room made leisurely love; Cowboy is now deep in slumber. No toddler between us tonight. We needed this.
.
P.S. In addition, we stopped at the Lebanon Outlet Mall and I found a pair of extra-skinny black pants with silver-side zippers at the Gap Outlet that fit me like a dream. $58 retail -- Semi-price: $6.97. If that don't make a girl happy, I don't know what does.


No comments: