Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sail on, Silver Girl

Semi and Bizzy, circa 1995

I found this photo last week. I hadn't seen it in years.
.
My first real "meeting" with Bizzy was when she came to my apartment to visit my roommate, who wasn't there. We shared a glass of iced tea (we are in the South, you know) and talked for more than an hour. She was real. I don't know if I was; I can't remember. Give me a little slack -- it was 1989.

What I do remember is that I knew I liked her -- right then. I don't even remember what we talked about, except our one connection -- my roommate and her friend.

We are both Virgos. If you believe in such things, we are certainly two ends of that spectrum. What drew me to Bizzy? She was smart, and she was not afraid to tell anyone (including me) that they were full of shit.

We always seem to be at different times in our lives. When we met, I was single and she had a beautiful three-year-old little boy who I once tried to teach to swim. This was impossible, he told me, because, "I have tubes in my ear-yas!" Her little blond is all grown up and mine is now three.

We have gone through marriages, divorces, almost marriages, almost divorces, trust, betrayal, the whole gamut. We rescued each other from bad dates, flat hair and back roads. We had our own dialect which wasn't all that attractive -- someone in the next booth once thought we were on a day-trip from the "special" place where we must've resided.
.
The adventures of our younger days will never, ever be in print. Even if she becomes a famous writer, no one will convince me to tell the "Orange Shag Carpet" story!

Oh, the emails we shared after I moved from Paducah. "We should publish an on-line journal! We could use these damn funny emails!" Ten years later, Bizzy finally convinced me (ok, I was ready, but I needed a kick in the ass) to do this. It still makes me happy to write.
.
Bizzy's gone through a lot of changes the last few months, but she's come through it on the other side with the same strength and grace she's always had.
"Sail on, silver girl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way.
See how they shine.
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind."
"Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Simon and Garkfunkel

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Lovely!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for this, Jeanna.
*sniff*

Ashley said...

lol...so what's the orange shag carpet story? :)

Jeanna said...

Ashley, me no tell!